International Rights Advocates (“IRAdvocates”), a small human rights organization, seeks a full-time paralegal to assist attorneys in all phases of litigation. All cases are administered through the Washington, DC office of Conrad & Scherer, LLP. IRAdvocates and Conrad & Scherer are Equal Opportunity Employers.
Organization: IRAdvocates builds and supports the capacity of women, human rights, labor, and legal organizations to develop and promote innovative legal strategies to hold multinational corporations accountable for labor, human rights, and environmental violations. IRAdvocates does so by supporting direct legal advocacy both in the U.S. and abroad, and by working with local partner organizations to develop and undertake precedent-setting legal actions in Latin America, Africa, and Asia. IRAdvocates believes that only when multinational corporate actors are subject to meaningful and enforceable legal mechanisms both in the country where the violation occurs and abroad can individual human rights be fully realized.
The paralegal is responsible for performing a variety of duties to assist attorneys in all phases of litigation, including discovery, trial, and post-trial phases. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Filings: Prepare and file pleadings, briefs, and other documents through electronic filings systems and/or manually at all court levels; conduct blue book and citation checks, proofread; and ensure compliance with local rules of procedure for filings
- Discovery: organize case files; assist in the preparation of discovery requests and responses; review and organize defendants’ discovery responses; organize document production; conduct document review, prepare witness binders for depositions
- Case development: conduct fact research, communicate with clients and witnesses; perform field work, including client and witness interviews
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Paralegal Certification preferred
- Minimum one year of litigation paralegal experience required
- Experience filing in Federal, State, and Appellate courts required
- Fluent in Spanish
- Blue Booking or cite checking experience required
- Summation (and/or other document management) experience preferred
- Must be willing to travel abroad for field work
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and handle numerous projects in a timely and efficient manner.
- Fast and efficient learner
- Ability to work moderate to heavy overtime.
- Experience working with and relating to indigenous peoples in the Global South, especially concerning human rights.
SALARY/BENEFITS: We offer a competitive salary and benefits, a convenient metro-accessible location near McPherson Square, and an exceptional working environment.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please address your materials to Terry Collingsworth.
Position open until filled.